A while ago I started a blog using a popular and powerful hosted service. I used this not because I wasn’t able to install and configure or even write my own, but because it was easier and I don’t have much passion for the technology behind my blog. It is hard to have passion when your posting maybe once or twice a month, but things change.
- I own the content, no more having to worry if the service I’m using can export
- Publishing is even easier then on the hosted service and it can even easily be done using any device with access to Dropbox
- It is all static content, no server side scripts required to serve pages, scaling is easy-peasy
- The uptime responsability falls on me
- Current setup doesn’t support any server side script, you can add some by plugging in a Sinatra server